I love holidays. September has Labor Day, but that is more of a 1 day/ long weekend celebration. So in an effort to find more things to celebrate, I turned to the handy Google Machine. This informed me that September has TWO other fun month long observances:
National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
Fruits & Veggies--More Matters Month
These two observances go hand in hand if you ask me. Eating more fruits and veggies instead of processed foods and grains will give your body more nutrients and fill you up with healthy foods! One way to easily add more veggies to your meal is with cauliflower fried rice! Click here for a printable recipe.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Head of cauliflower
1 cup of frozen mixed veggies
Soy sauce or coconut aminos
2 Tbs oil (I like olive oil or coconut oil)
- Cut off the florets of the cauliflower.
- Put the florets in the food processor to cut/rice in to small pieces (see photos below).
It usually takes me a few rounds of running through the food processor to rice all the florets.
- Heat 2 Tbs of oil in a frying pain over med-high heat.
- Add riced cauliflower, mixed vegetables, and a drizzle of soy sauce over the mixture in the frying pan.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally to make sure all of the vegetables are cooked evenly.
- Add the egg over the top of the fried "rice", and stir to mix in to the mix.
- Cook for a few more minutes, and serve!
The quantities in the recipe are flexible! If you like more mixed veggies, go for it! I often eat this with chicken or beef stir fry. Sorry I forgot to take a photo when I dished it up for dinner.
Questions on how to incorporate this into your diet? Let me know! Happy eating!